Friday, May 19, 2017

Irreparable, Irreplacable (5/6/17)

Show me the way I should walk. ~ Psalm 143:8 <3:
People are chipped, cracked, broken; even the ones we think seem perfect are messed up, somehow. We don't get to be perfect - we don't even get to come close! - but we try. God knows, we try. We strive so hard to become like the ones we see, the ones we want to be friends with - but it usually ends sadly, with each desperate effort, each last hopeful fling leaving us more downhearted and despairing than before.

Why do we unconsciously think others are so close to that lofty perch when we ourselves struggle every day? Why do we expect others to do better than we would? Why do we automatically assume that we are below the level of our peers?

We are all human. We may not have the same struggles, we may not fight the same battles, but we are similar in that we all have them. We have habits we wish we could break, traits we wish we could change, things we wish were different.

We're not just chipped, cracked, stained, or dented. We are broken. We are smashed. Like a glass that has been shattered against the ground, we are beyond repair. By rights, we should be irreparable. And we are.
Our repair, that is. We can't fix things (you'd think we'd have figured this out by now); we just make a bigger mess when we try! 

But God can.

This is an excerpt from a letter I never sent, but I can't seem to put it into better words:
"God touched my heart...and handled it so gently and calmed it so beautifully that I couldn’t help but give it into His keeping forever."

He picks up all the delicate, fragile little pieces and when He's done with them, you can't even tell it was the same glass, it's so changed. It's cleansed, and it's made new.

The older I get, the more I realize no one is perfect. There is none righteous, no, not one - but God can make us so. I am as broken as every single one of you - but He has made me whole again, and I pray it is the same with you. :)

4 comments:

  1. So true! Thank you so much for the post, Elisabeth!

    https://teensliveforjesus.blogspot.ru/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written, I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written, I love this!

    ReplyDelete