Sunday, February 12, 2017

Are Mistakes a Good Thing? (2/12/17)

The Academy of Arts seminar is over... I still can't get over what an amazing and blessed week last week was! I already miss all of my good friends so much, and am aching to talk to them all in person again - and I saw them only yesterday! I can barely remember the performance, it all happened so quickly... I can only remember a handful of the scenes I was in, and even fewer of the lines that I only assume I spoke. Friends and friendly acquaintances continue to congratulate me on what they called a fantastic job, when I really don't know whether to believe them or not because my mind has completely blanked out and I have no idea what all happened when I was on stage.

But I do remember the mistakes... good grief, so many mistakes! And yet, no one in the audience really seemed to notice; they didn't know that I was supposed to begin a certain scene on my throne instead of gracefully gliding onto the stage and stepping up to it in the middle. They didn't know I was supposed to be wearing a headdress in a specific scene, which I was unable to put on in time. There were so many itty-bitty things that could have been done better...

...But I don't regret a single moment. Not a single mistake. Not a single thing.

The night before the performance, I prayed as I was crying alone downstairs from both pain and nervousness. As a lot of people know, I slammed into a horizontal pole at a pretty high speed that evening and found it a little difficult to breathe. Every time someone made me laugh, I would start tearing up because my lungs hurt. As I laid there, sobbing on some chairs that were lined up beside a table, I started speaking my heart aloud to God. At first my prayers were the instinctive, "Please take this pain away," and "God, this hurts so much,", but after another moment or two, I started to think a little more about what I was asking. The whole week of Academy, the team had encouraged us to make every part of this performance about glorifying God... so I changed my prayer to something more like this.

"God, if it be Your will, take away this pain so that I might be able to better say my lines tomorrow... but if I can glorify you more when I am hurting - if You will receive more honour and glory and credit if I work through this difficulty - if Your strength will be shown much more in my weakness... give me more pain, God. Make me hurt worse, if that will give you more honour and glory."

And I think part of that sort of mindset is also asking God to somehow use whatever mistakes we might make - even if we can't see how. Thinking, "If making these mistakes will give Him more glory, then I don't want our performance to be perfect." I'm not saying we should try to make mistakes, but if we do have an occasional mess-up, we shouldn't worry about it, but rather leave it in God's hands. The Bible says, "Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?" (Luke 12:25)

I'm grateful that I did find it easier to breathe the day of the performance and that I was able to say my lines the way I was supposed to (and if I didn't, it wasn't for pain's sake). I'm not saying all this to boast or brag about anything I might have done right (if any such thing did happen at all), but to state something I learned last week that I never truly thought about before. If I wanted to brag, I wouldn't have been honest about bawling downstairs by myself; I hate it when people see me cry (which really happens more often than I like to admit). I'll confess that I hated walking back upstairs when I knew my eyes were still really red and people would ask questions, but I felt God was calling me to go back and help, despite the pain. He placed something on my heart that day to share with the elementary students, who had their performance that day - so I went back up and shared it. I don't know how many of them were listening or took it to heart, but I did what God called me to do in that moment.

And I'm so glad I did.

20 comments:

  1. Mistakes are inherently both bad and good. They are bad for clear reasons, but they are good because God will use them all for your benefit. So when you make mistakes, whether they be day to day line slip ups, or big failings, just remember that not only are all things possible through God, but also that if you ask God for forgiveness, let go of control and let him guide you, and move forward toward his will, all will be well. Spiritually, that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree; thank you for taking time out of your day to comment! :)

      Delete
    2. No problem. I hope that you are able to move forward from any mistakes you make.

      Delete
  2. Madeline (with a Q)February 16, 2017 at 8:08 PM

    I wouldn't replace anything that happened! Especially that awesome scene with that awesome person doing that awesome thing! It really was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?!? It was so awesome!!!

      Delete
    2. He was was he not? Such an awe inspiring presents.

      Delete
    3. Indeed, my ladies, never were such thought provoking gifts bestowed on anyone! Who in their right minds would not wish for a "Hatach" to be given them of the King' s good will!?

      Delete
    4. Hatach's great! He's like the younger brother I never had! I say "younger" brother because I do boss him around a little bit...

      Delete
    5. That is why he was put into your service, my dear child. I find it's my only amusement in a day.

      Delete
    6. Well, I wouldn't know, for all he seems to do is boss us hand maids around. And since he has found favor in the sight of the king, we must comply.
      Lady Zeresh, I was unaware you also have a Hatach serving you as well!

      Delete
  3. The King's Flustered Head CookFebruary 21, 2017 at 12:19 PM

    Maybe you could come help in the kitchen! We're scrambling from morning to night to serve all the food at your feasts!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You want me to make MORE mistakes?!? No way, Jose!
      Also, could you tell me your name? I will request that the king reward you for your dutiful service.

      Delete
    2. I'll try to be more of a help, Head cook. I've tryed to be as much of a help as possible, but it seems you are short handed these days, and who can blame you! When the King throws feasts left and right, then the queen starts no wonder you need help!

      Delete
  4. The King's Flustered Head CookFebruary 21, 2017 at 12:35 PM

    We could teach our Queen to cook. ☺
    As for the name, your Majesty, I haven't been called by anything but, "cook" in years. I'd rather remain as such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very well, it shall be as you wish. :)

      Delete
    2. Do you have a street name?

      Delete
  5. Absolutely jaw dropping, you did a stunning job in the play, and im so glad i can be around such a wonderful person, you are amazing, Elisabeth, thank you for being such a inspriation, rolemodel, and friend to me! You have a heart of gold, and you just shine with the holy spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That means a lot to me. <3

      Also, who is this? I know it's someone involved with Academy, but I'm not good with guessing games... ;)

      Delete