Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Life Can Be So Hard (12/20/16)

Guys, life is hard. I'm not going to sugarcoat it or try to beat around the bush. It can be so, so hard, so scary. 

I have a friend that I am worried about because she is going through incredibly difficult things, specifically things that are being said to her by people that ought to encourage her and lift her up. She is hurting, and all I want to do is take the hurt away because I've had a small taste of how it feels. I just want to make everything better, but I can't. 

I have a friend that I am truly scared for because of all the crazy, terrible things that are happening around where she lives. Every time she tells me of a new occurrence, I feel like my heart starts to shut down inside me. 

I have a friend who has a terminal illness; I can't even imagine the battles she fights and has fought for her entire life. I can't imagine being in a hospital that's that far from my home. She is quite probably the bravest person I know, and I wish I always had the peace she has through it all.

I'm scared sometimes, guys. The world is a scary, scary place. The uncertainty can be tantalizing, but it can also be feared for the lack of control it gives. 

When I was little, my parents taught me to recite Psalm 23 whenever I got scared; I had nightmares rather often (if I'm remembering rightly) and I remember one time standing in the hallway with my dad kneeling down so he was level with me. I was still at the stage just below hyperventilating and I was crying, and he asked me to think of different things I liked.
"Kittens!" I burst out, choking on tears (yeah, it's kind of humourous, looking back on it now).
"That's good. What else?"
"Holiday World..."
After naming one or two other things, he had me say Psalm 23 before sending me back to bed, feeling slightly reassured. Even now, I recite it when I'm scared or disconcerted - I even started quoting it when I had to run a mile in less than 10 minutes for a test and I started getting exhausted (we had done other exercises beforehand as well). I wasn't scared - I just realised that I needed to be running those laps for God and for His glory, and when I realised that, it helped motivate me to run hard until the end.

The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want. 

He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.

He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.

5 comments:

  1. I loved this post! When you said "kittens," I instantly thought about the song in "The Sound of Music." I'm not actually sure if it has kittens in it, but you know, still reminds me. :) Thanks for the reminder!

    https://teensliveforjesus.blogspot.ru/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow. When I said "Thanks for the reminder" I meant about Psalm 23 and trusting God. Why don't I clarify this stuff right away? ;)

      Delete
    2. "Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens," you're right! I didn't even think about that. :D
      Haha, I do stuff like that all the time (except about 10 times more awkward). ;)
      And you're welcome! Thanks for reading. :D

      Delete
  2. This made Me cry!!! So true, this is the Psalm that gets me through. So thankful we have parents who taught it to us. Now we can always have it with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? So thankful for such amazing parents! <3

      Delete