Monday, December 7, 2015

The Christmas Masquerade! (12/11/15)

Last Friday (December 4, 2015) was this year's Homeschool Christmas Formal and it was a lot like the one they had last year, with one dramatic exception.
This time, it was a masquerade
I had always wanted to go to a masquerade one day, so that was really, really cool. OK, I'll say it: it was amazing. Not everything was the way it was last year, but I've found that sometimes change can be a good thing. Not that the way things were before was bad, but sometimes we can grow along with our environment. :)

My good friends Emily, Amelia, Caroline, Julia, Ana, and Sara were all there. I also met a lot of new friends (Candace, Sydney, and Allyson - it was amazing to meet you all!), some people I had met some time ago (Emily (a different Emily), Lucy, Trinity, and Clarice), and people I knew the names of, but had never had the pleasure of meeting before. So that was wonderful to get to see/meet them all. :)

I decided not go as anyone other than myself, which turned out to be a good decision as everyone else had decided to do the same. We played an icebreaker game (I think they played more than one, but I wasn't there on time for those) that was pretty fun. Each person had a name on their back and they had to figure out who they were by asking people questions (e.g., am I a Disney character? Am I a person past or present?) and once they knew who they were, they had to find their partner. I saw a Wendy and Peter Pan, Daisy and Donald Duck, C3PO and R2-D2 and guess who I was.

Eve. I was Eve. So I had to find Adam. Great... the two people who brought on the fall of Man. (facepalm) So I found Adam and turns out we had a mutual acquaintance (my neighbor had talked about "Adam" for awhile because they had gone to the same youth group), so that was kind of cool. And he was wearing a Phantom mask, which was awesome.

We had all written our names on a card so they could introduce us; whenever they drew your name out of the bowl, you would walk down the line and take the glass that had your name on it and use it as a place-marker when you sat down at one of the tables. I wrote my real name... and also added, "Lady Anastasia Drizella Cinderella the 3rd/Batman". I know, not very original, but please to keep in mind that it was on the spot. We also had "the Duchess of (my home state)", "the Duke of (county in said home state)", and a number of other fabulous names that I can't fully remember.

Dinner was a pretty formal affair, with the lights dimmed a little and Christmas lights to accent the mood. One of the grown-ups was playing the piano throughout the meal and when he acquiesced my friend Sara's request to play Jingle Bells, I knew I had to request a song, too. After receiving the okay from my table-mates, I walked over quietly and said as politely as I could, "My table would like to request 'If You're Happy and You Know It, Clap Your Hands".
He kind of laughed and was like, "Sure thing." After I reached the safety of my table again (where I could laugh over it as hard as I liked), the catchy tune started and our table clapped along. I might also add that ours was the only table that clapped along, getting funny looks and a few titters from the other tables. But it was a lot of fun, and were all having a good time, so that was all that mattered. >:D

We danced after dinner and that was pretty fun, and after the dancing (which lasted quite awhile) the after-party began. We played games like, "Do You Love Your Neighbor?", a scavenger hunt,  and some other ones (lol, I can't remember the other ones right now). All in all, it was an amazing night and I had a wonderful time. 

Now if only we had played the Grog, it would have been perfect. ;)

Once I get some pictures, I'll do a post dedicated just to them. :)

4 comments:

  1. Lol it sounds as if you have a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it was a great evening! Can't wait to see the pics! Loved all your escapades. ;)

    ReplyDelete