Sunday, October 18, 2015

Thoughts of the Bible/Because It's Real (10/18/15)

I scroll through Google+, automatically liking almost every post I see. Mindless activities, slowly using up my time and wasting my life away. After all, our time is limited; the average person (if you live a long life) has only 80-100 years to spend. Perhaps we should be more aware of how we use it (please pardon the rabbit-trail)...
After a few more moments I glance at a picture of a Cinderella from DisneyWorld. I smile, but it doesn't reach deep down. Not all the way, anyhow. After a few more moments, I spot a beautiful picture of a landscape with a bright blue sky and... it was just really pretty. The most powerful part about it, though, is the verse enscripted over it. 

God is Faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond your ability. -1 Corinthians 10:13

I grin, and this time it reaches all the way down. 

The Bible is not a faerytale. It is not just some fable, passed down through generations from family to family. It is REAL.

For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. - Hebrews 4:12

Don't get me wrong, I love faerytales. I love the lessons we can learn from them, and the wonderful characters we grow up with. 
But... when I'm at the end of my rope, I don't sit down and read through a book of faerytales. They aren't comforting; they almost seem like a reminder to me that I am not a character in a faerytale. I don't have a guaranteed happy ending.
But... when I'm at the end of my rope, I sit down and I read the Bible. It is comforting. It is a reminder to me that, no matter what I go through in this life, no matter what troubles come, I do have a guaranteed happy ending.





Because He lives, I can face tomorrow. 
Because He lives, every fear is gone.
I know He holds my life, my future in His hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment