Sunday, May 3, 2015

Life Goes On (And We Grow Stronger)

Some of you know that the last month has been hard on our family, especially the last two weeks. First Josiah (age 3) fell on the pavement and broke one tooth and chipped another; after he got the broken one pulled, he got croup and my parents had to take him to the ER because he couldn't breathe. Not long after, Emma (age 5) got a stomach bug and didn't eat anything for around two weeks. My parents took her to the hospital too because she had been sick for two weeks and wasn't getting any better. They put her on an IV and kept her for two nights before sending her home. During all this, the rest of us kids (Isaiah on up) were gone from early morning to late at night getting ready for our drama performance.
It's been... crazy. Mom and Dad were hardly home last week and neither were we. Josiah had to stay with my grandma for a few days because no one else could stay with him.

Trying to make sure we all had the requirements for our costumes was a bit chaotic, as there were six of us doing it and we were missing quite a few items. Fortunately some good friends helped us out; it was almost funny how there were so many homeschool moms "donating" different things, such as a belt for Isaiah, shoes for Elijah, basketball shorts for me to wear (under my Pilgrim dress, of course), and black flats for Allie. Not to mention the meals people brought us! My friend Abby's mom made us some barbequed pork which was absolutely amazing and friends brought us lunches at least three different times. 
It's a debated point whether I did anything to help or not. I did what I could, but I guess it wasn't enough. I didn't have to do a whole lot, what with other homeschoolers helping us out, but... well, I guess I thought maybe I was supposed to be the mom while mine was away. I'm the oldest girl in my family; normally my younger sister Allie "takes charge", so to speak. She's good with the little ones and she's basically good at everything.
And now I feel like a failure. I am a failure.But isn't everyone? Isn't everyone fallen? That's why we need Jesus. Because he can take all of our mistakes and all our broken pieces and put them all back together.

Life goes on, even through the chaos and the craziness. 
And we grow stronger as we pass through.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds crazy...I've gone though such things before. :P Just to let you know..you'll get through it. It doesn't last forever. Such as, a few years ago when my little sister was born (a preemie) she had to stay in the hospital for a month, I got sick, and of course that month was my birthday. :P It was hard, but we all got through it. :)

    I know what you mean, having older siblings can be hard and confusing. It can be hard to know when you are needed-or in the way so to speak. Just keep moving on with life, don't dwell in the past-but try better in the future, and pray for help and guidance..I know I need to work on it more as well. :) I'll be praying for you and your family. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of over now; everyone's home, the performance went well and is now over, and we're all healthy enough. We had lots of fun... it was just really hard for a week there. It was great except for the moments hiding in the bathroom, unable to stop crying.
      I know I shouldn't, but it's so easy to dwell in the past and consider myself worthless and a failure because of past mistakes. I suppose everyone feels that way sometimes, though; we just have to get over it and move on. :)
      Thank you for your comment and your prayers. :)

      Delete
    2. That's good! :D Yeah, a cold is starting over here. yay. ;)
      ughh, I know! It's good to have those moments to let it out though, it can make you feel better-and help you sleep better actually. ;)

      I know what you mean, totally. It's really hard, and I struggle with it a lot. It can be hard to move on, but that's just what we need to do. :)
      Of course!
      Just wondering...did you do camp nano? I finished with 30,903! :D I finished my novellaaa-it's OVER! Though, weirdly enough, I'm pretty excited about editing. lol. Do you like editing?

      Delete
    3. Totally. :)
      I did Camp NaNoWriMo, but I wasn't able to hit even the halfway mark, but that's ok. I'm starting to realize that there are more important things I need to focus on right now than my hobbies. :)
      I actually do like editing! Almost all of my friends hate it it, but I don't really understand why (although there are times when it scares me to death; like, who wants to change that critical moment?). :P

      Delete
    4. Oh, seriously?! Awesome! Yes, I know what you mean. I've cut down on other things to make room for my writing..seriously, writing doesn't take up much time for me at all. I do most of it at night. :)
      Oh great! I'm reading it all over right now, so editing comes soon! Ugh! I knoww! It's gonna be a little hard..but I like improving things, so, hopefully it will go well!

      Delete
  2. Do not feel like a failure elisabeth! Remember what Allison said " when God closes a door, trust him in the hallway". Also remember the chapel we had about Job. No matter what happens, give your 100 percent and learn from your mistakes. It isn't the mistake that shape us, it is how we learn and grow through them.
    I know that sounds like alot of somewhat random bits of advice, but those are some things I learned this week that I feel really apply to me when I feel the same way you are feeling now. So you can take it or leave it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice and the encouragement, Madeline! I'm trying not to dwell on things I've done wrong before and to work forward to being a better person from my mistakes.
      I think I'll take it. ;) :)

      Delete
    2. I feel the same way. I think we are both in the same boat with our siblings being sick and since our parents need to take care of them we have to step in and help with daily things. I have to constantly remind myself that I can't do this alone. God has to help me each step of the way. Remember, He is always there, to comfort you and to give you strength.

      Delete
    3. We're praying for Lydia, for the surgery tomorrow and that all will go well.
      I'm so glad we have God's promises that hold fast throughout the ages. :)

      Delete
  3. Hello Elizabeth! You probably don't know me, but my name is Shelby! I have been following your blog for a long time and I love it. :) I am so sorry to hear about your little brother. I am praying for him! I will be praying for him tommorw was he goes through surgery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know you. You've commented once or twice and I think you followed my sister Anna's blog. :)
      He's all right now and he's not going into surgery; my good friend is. :P

      Delete
  4. You are definitely NOT a failure. That thought never crossed my mind! You are incredibly talented and loved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mom! You were amazing that week, and you are every day. :D

      Delete