Monday, November 10, 2014

MMC (11-8-14)

I ran from the parlor, throwing a cap on my disheveled mop of hair.
“God, please help me to get there on time!" I murmured, pounding to the barn.
“Come on, girl! Come on!” Polly nickered to my urging. Racing through woods in wintry weather was not what I had in mind when I said fun. Sometimes I just knew Andrew needed a brain replacement.
As we hurried on, a girl garbed in red sprinted into our path. Seeing us coming, she froze; I could never forget her face. Terror would be better than the dull apathy and acceptance in her glowing dark eyes.
“Polly!” I cried in a near scream. “Whoa, Polly!”
My horse veered to the right almost in time to save the girl, but almost wasn’t good enough. She noiselessly sunk to the ground. I jumped off of Polly and dashed to her aid; she hardly seemed stunned. It was as though it never happened except that she wouldn’t raise her gaze.
“Excuse me,” I began, concerned. “Are you all right?”
She seemed startled at my voice, but nodded her head decisively. She blinked and the realization struck me that she wasn’t looking away to be rude. She was afraid to look.
“Are you sure?” I asked again.
She nodded, still staring at the ground. I think she only hurt her ankle.
“Well…” I stood up slowly. “OK.”
Making my way back to Polly, I left the girl in the woods.


She bit her lip to calm herself, her breath coming in short gasps. It was bizarre. It was unbelievable. It was the last thing she had imagined of, but always contemplated on.
Someone… had seen her. The idea that she had always accepted as sure now seemed a little less certain, a little more dubious.

Unworthy


It is 300 words exactly and I used the sentence prompt and half of the items prompt. XP 


2 comments: