Tuesday, November 18, 2014

MMC (11-17-14)

I take a look at my world. It's no longer recognizable. Buildings have crumbled to piles of cement and wood, fires are still burning in some places, and a smoky haze covers the land. The smell is what hits me the hardest. The smell of rotting flesh. It's then that I realise that the only I have to look forward to now is death.

Gazing out over the vast domain, I thought about the recent events. It was so much to take in… Xavier’s sudden, unexplainable betrayal… the fact that Ian had left our only hideaway unguarded… the enemy’s advance into Polheim…
Xavier tried to hold my hand; I slapped his hard. How dare he? After everything I had done to protect the future of everything we- I- believed in. Was I the only one left that still believed? The idea was like a punch to the stomach.
“Lexi!” his tone was reproachful and confused. “What’s wrong? Are you mad at me?”
“How could you not know?” I snapped angrily. “How could you use me and wonder why I hate you?
His grey-green eyes widened in shock, but were quickly replaced with understanding. “Lexi, it wasn’t what you think. Lina…”
“Do you think I want to hear about her?” was my furious retort. My eyes filled with tears and I ducked my head away. The pain was too raw, too real.
“...is only a childhood friend.” he continued softly. “I didn’t want to tell you this because of the mixed-up sentiments of the world right now, but Lina was my adopted sister.”
Another punch to the guts. How was it possible? And yet it made so much sense, in a weird, twisted way.
“What about the Seeker’s fight?” was my whispered question. “You still used me. How do I know you still believe? How do I know it’s not all a lie?”
His fingers touched mine, and this time I didn’t pull away. It was the first time I had ever seen through his eyes into his soul.
“I used you as a pawn, yes.” he murmured quietly. “I used you as a pawn so you could become my queen.”

Please feel free to comment with suggestions! Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your blog, and your writing is amazing :) I love how beautiful your writing flows together and how you make the reader feel like they are there with the characters!
    I'm definitely going to follow and continue reading your blog!
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed reading my scribblings. :D

      Delete
  2. That was REALLY well written! I so enjoyed it! Never stop writing, Elisabeth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was so good! That last line! So good!
    I tagged you at my blog :)
    http://opalswirls.blogspot.co.nz/2014/11/best-blogging-buddies-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR?!? I just thought of that line one time and I was like, "Inspirational moment!" lol
      (I don't even think I had been planning to do MMC and I thought of that and was like, "Totally!")
      Awesome! I'll go check that out! (love reading your posts, btw)

      Delete