Tuesday, April 8, 2014

MMC (4/8/14)



"We will never be the same again."
And my mom thought I was dramatic, I thought hiding a growing smile. Seriously, this girl was weird. Who would have a name like Starlet, anyway?
“So… why won’t your group be the same after knowing me? Am I really such an idiot?” I inquired, studying the clover I was twisting between my fingers.
She looked at me as if she was thinking, Well, you are an idiot. Her expression changed quickly to one of guilt and she looked at her boots before replying. “It’s called the Dravindar and we won’t be the same because you are going to fulfill the Prophecy.”
Ooooohhh. A prophecy. This was sounding more and more like a fictitious Wonderland as time went on. How exciting.
“So who all is in your group? Are there any people my age?” I said aloud.
She glanced up at me searchingly. “Everyone in the Dravindar is at least 50 years old, myself included.”
I snorted and shot her a double take. If she was lying, she was the best liar I ever met. That was the straightest, most serious face I’ve ever seen.
“So…” I began and then stopped. What on earth was I supposed to say to a girl that looked like she was my age but was really closer to my grandma’s? Should I ask her if she can make really good oatmeal raisin cookies?
“Are you married?” As soon as the words popped out I felt ridiculous. Starlet looked like she was 15.
She gave me one of her looks. “No.” she promptly stated.
"Oh,” was the only thing I could think to say.
She started a new conversation, which surprised me greatly as she never spoke voluntarily. This was really awkward.

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! It's an excerpt from the first draft of my novel. Sort of. :)

      Delete
  2. That's so interesting and good, Elizabeth!! I want to read more
    In Christ,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like I said to TW Wright this is an excerpt from the novel I'm writing, so I have more of the story if anyone wants to read more. :)
    Also, did anyone pick up any of the sarcasm? Julia (the person talking) is a very satirical person and I was trying to get that in there, but I don't know if it's noticable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I could tell she was sarcastic. I love how real the story feels. Great job!

    ReplyDelete