Monday, March 10, 2014

Vanity and Pride

What do you think of when you hear the word 'vanity'? I think of a girl standing in front of a mirror, putting on loads of makeup and lipstick; or maybe a girl sobbing in her closet because she doesn't know which clothes she should wear. These are pretty extreme circumstances and there are not a ton of people who act like this; vanity or pride can just be trying to show off for your friends or acting like you're better than they are.
When people think of the word 'proud' they usually think arrogant or foolish. It doesn't always mean that. There's a good sort of pride, the kind you feel when you clean up the kitchen for your mom even though she didn't ask you; it turns bad when you start bragging about what a great person you are because you helped your mom clean up the kitchen. You get what I'm saying?
Anyway, your homework for this week is to abstain from something you think makes you feel bad proud and to do something that makes you feel the good proud. Maybe you could clean up the living room or fold the clothes without being asked. Oh, and you don't have to tell anyone you did it, unless they ask. ;D


Lately my family read the book of Ecclesiastes together and frankly it seemed kind of depressing at first. "All is vanity, and grasping for the wind," was repeated numerous times and Ecclesiastes 2:2 said, and I quote, "Laughter," I said, "is madness. And what does pleasure accomplish?" It was like a... punch to the stomach or something. Seriously, how depressing!
BUT... (there's always a 'but' or a 'however' in there somewhere :)  later in chapter 3 he says...

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

So dancing and laughing is not just foolishness. It's a gift that God has given us. :)
Yeah, I kind of strayed from the subject. :)  That's just normal.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't help but notice your pen name. Is it based off BlimeyCow's Henry the Lumberjack?
      Sorry; random question. :)

      Delete
    2. Sorry it took me so long to reply!

      Delete
  2. Of course it is! I believe I am the one who introduced you to that particular video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? So is this Lucy, Madeline or Lydia? :)

      Delete
    2. Madeline. I was wondering how long it would take you to realize!

      Delete
    3. I wasn't sure who told me about it first, since you were all talking about it at around the same time. :)

      Delete
  3. So glad I found your blog!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! :D
      Especially since I wasn't sure if I gave you the name in the first place. :P :)

      Delete