Monday, March 17, 2014

MMC (3/17/14)


"This is not turning out the way I had planned." I whispered wistfully to Rachael when no one was looking.
"I know." she murmured back with a forced smile on her face. "I know, Luke. But that's okay, isn't it? I mean, we're here. There was nothing more you could do."
I looked down for a moment before replying softly, "But there was something else I could've done. I just didn't want to do it because I was scared."
The look on Rachael's face was enough to make me sick with guilt. The shock, the fear, the confusion... it made me want to cry.
"What? What have you done?" she looked at me, her face suspicious and anxious.
"Rachael, I'm sorry." A tear squeezed out and I brushed it away, hoping she didn't see. "Why did you have to be so good? Why couldn't you just let me alone? Why... why did you have to make me fall in love with you?"
She seemed calm and secure on the outside, but the look of terror and uneasiness in her eyes betrayed her. Now she knew. It was out in the open. Now she was going to hate me; the thought broke my heart and I couldn't bear to look at her again until they came to take her away. I had to get one last glimpse of her before she was gone forever.
The expected and deserved hate wasn't to be found. Instead she gazed at me and the pity in that gaze amazed me.
In that moment, I knew I had to save her. I was nowhere close to being a knight in shining armor, but she was a fair maiden and I will hope with all my heart that will be enough to bring a happy ending.

4 comments:

  1. Now I am dying to know what happens to the girl. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I love writing cliff-hangers. :)
      I was trying to lead the readers to believe that there would probably be a happy ending. :P

      Delete
  2. Cliffhangers stink--most of the time.
    Write more? Please?? This is so good, Elisabeth! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will try to squeeze in time to finish this part. :) I'm always really busy, especially now because I'm not only crocheting, taking care of my rabbit (she takes more work than it would seem!), and doing all my schoolwork; now I'm trying to work on my book more. :P
      Might take awhile though. :)

      Delete